The cosmetic conspiracy explained in this article is written to warn and educate consumers about the potential dangers of the common household beauty and personal care products and their ingredients. There are 12 extremely toxic chemicals that are used as ingredients that many people are not aware of today.
I would like to advise who ever is reading this article to compare the toxic 12 to product labels in your own bathroom cabinets and you will then understand the importance of today’s health issues.
- Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol are ingredients found in all common anti-freeze. These chemicals are known to penetrate the skin quickly and weaken protein and cellular structure. One third of all personal care products contain glycols. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires workers to wear protective clothing when handling these chemicals.
- Sodium Hydroxide is found in toothpaste, especially whitening toothpastes, many common facial, and body cleansers. Sodium Hydroxide is known to affect the brain, nervous system, metabolic system and senses, even at a very low dosage. It is an ingredient in Drano and most other sink and oven cleaners. Crystal Drano is 100% sodium hydroxide, which is caustic soda lye. It is listed as a poison. A helpful warning sign when trying to identify this chemical is the skull and crossbones on the warning label.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate or Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. Sulfates are a cheap and popular way to make products foam. They are found in huge abundance in all your personal care and beauty products. Even more bad news about these chemicals, is that our bodies retain these sulfates for extended periods of time; this increases the likelihood of possible side effects. These chemicals are ingredients in garage floor cleaners, industrial detergents, and engine degreasers. Some reported health hazards from these chemicals are eye damage, depression, ADD, labored breathing, skin irritation and even death.
- DEA, MEA and TEA are ordinary detergents. They are hormone disrupting chemicals that can form cancer causing nitrates. Repeated applications can cause serious toxic build–up. Reported health hazards for these chemicals result in “major increases in liver, breast, and kidney cancers. This risk is more harmful in children.
- PEG or Polyethylene Glycol is carcinogenic petroleum that reduces the skin’s natural moisture and seriously increases the appearance of aging. The higher the PEG count (PEG 20-50-100-120), the worse of an affect to the skin. The reported health hazards for this chemical is linked to all forms of cancer and cellular destruction.
- DMDM and UREA are preservatives that release formaldehyde, which is a chemical that is known to cause cancer. DMDM is an immune system toxicant. UREA enhances product absorption into the skin. The reported health hazards for these chemicals are cancer, joint pain, depression, headaches, chest pain, ear infections, chronic fatigue and loss of sleep.
- Mineral Oil is a petroleum product that coats the skin like plastic wrap, clogging the pores and inhibiting the skin’s natural ability to eliminate toxins. Beware of baby oil, it is 100% mineral oil. The reported health hazards are skin irritant, allergies, cancer and acne.
- Triclosan has one of the highest toxicity ratings, triclosan is found in “anti-bacterial” products and maintains a chemical structure similar to Agent Orange. The EPA registers it as a pesticide. Some reported health hazards are birth defects, infertility, cancers and lung, liver and kidney damage.
- Parabens are anything that has “paraben” as a part of its name. Parabens are hormone-disrupting chemicals that mimic estrogen, but are often used as preservatives. These parabens are a common element of breast cancer. The reported health hazards are breast cancer, negative affects on the brain, nervous system, and reproductive organs.
- Isopropyl Alcohol dries and ages the skin while promoting wrinkles and brown spots. It is an irritant that affects vital organs, such as the skin and respiratory system. It is also used in anti-freeze. The reported health hazards according to the Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, isopropyl alcohol is carcinogenic and linked to headaches, flushing and dizziness.
- FD and C Color Pigments are toxins that are synthetic colors derived almost solely from coal tar. Coal tar scores a ten on the toxicity scale-the highest mark possible. It is also a known human carcinogen. The reported health hazards for this are several types of cancer, allergies, skin irritation, depleted oxygen and dizziness.
- Fragrances may contain up to 4,000 ingredients including different animal urine to help create the proper smell. This is not listed on any labels, so chances are you will not find it listed. Fragrances are linked to neurotoxicity, which is harmful to the brain and the nervous system. The reported health hazards are headaches, skin discoloration, skin irritation, depression, and loss of sleep.